Tricky Cat-5 Wiring

Joe George joeg at clearcore.com
Tue Dec 22 23:40:27 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The room of interest has a finished bedroom above it, with no cat-5,
>> and a finished basement room below it, with no cat-5. I can get cat-5
>> in the attic, but that's two floors up, and I reckon it would be
>> pretty easy to drop cable into the upstairs room, but then getting it
>> down another floor would be tricky, since there's a sub-floor, right?
>>
>> The odd thing is that I'm sure there *used* to be cat-5 in the room of
>> interest, but I think it got removed when the previous owners knocked
>> out a wall in the room to make another door.
>
> If you first cut a hole in the room above, you could maybe use the
> really long, flexible drill thing mentioned earlier to drill through
> the subfloor so you can access the room you want.  You can get those
> drill bits, along with other cable-running tools, at Lowes/Home Depot.
>  You could then put a faceplate over the access hole in the room
> above, and have network in both rooms.
>
>        --Levi

I have been able to solve most of the similar problems I have had by running
cable behind base boards.  You have to be very careful removing them.  I first
use a utility knife to score all the joints, then very gently work
them off a little
at a time using putty knifes.  Don't get impatient or you will break
the molding.
When you get them off pull the nails out from the back so you don't mar the
front.

You can then route a grove to run the cable to the most convenient place to
drop the cable down.  Sometimes this involves drilling through a wall into
another room which you do by taking the baseboard off on both sides of the
wall.

You can drill holes in the floor that will be covered when you put the baseboard
back.  Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to hit a cavity that goes down where
you can get it through.  Most basements have someplace where you can get
a cable down without trashing a wall or ceiling such as a furnace or storage
room.

Test the connection before you put the base board back and then be careful not
to hit it with a nail when you put the baseboard back.  I put tape on
the front of the
molding to mark where the studs are because sometimes the nail holes are
still covered.

YMMV

Joe