Tricky Cat-5 Wiring

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 22:33:46 MST 2009

> The room of interest has a finished bedroom above it, with no cat-5,
> and a finished basement room below it, with no cat-5. I can get cat-5
> in the attic, but that's two floors up, and I reckon it would be
> pretty easy to drop cable into the upstairs room, but then getting it
> down another floor would be tricky, since there's a sub-floor, right?
>
> The odd thing is that I'm sure there *used* to be cat-5 in the room of
> interest, but I think it got removed when the previous owners knocked
> out a wall in the room to make another door.

If you first cut a hole in the room above, you could maybe use the
really long, flexible drill thing mentioned earlier to drill through
the subfloor so you can access the room you want.  You can get those
drill bits, along with other cable-running tools, at Lowes/Home Depot.
 You could then put a faceplate over the access hole in the room
above, and have network in both rooms.

        --Levi