Tricky Cat-5 Wiring

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Tue Dec 22 21:40:43 MST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Scott Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org>
> wrote:
>> I know this is somewhat off topic, but then again, what isn't on
>> Plug?
>>
>> I live in a 3-story house with all three floors finished. The house
>> is
>> about 5 years old. Some of the rooms have cat-5 wiring, but others
>> don't. One such room is the office on the middle story, where I want
>> to run some cat-5 (there are so many Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity
>> that my bandwidth stinks). I have cat-5 in the attic, which
>> originated
>> in the basement, that runs to other rooms on the same floor. So my
>> question: Is it possible to run a cable into a room on the middle
>> floor without totally trashing the drywall? I just don't see it, and
>> my Google fu has apparently waned.
>
> Dave:
>
> The question is really one of access, i.e., whether you have regions
> where you can pass the wire between studs or joists. The termination
> in the wall is no problem with those blind boxes that you can anchor
> wherever needed.
>
> I saw the guys on This Old House using a wacky REALLY LONG drill one
> day to bore access holes through wall framing footers to run plumbing.
> I think you could accomplish the same thing and just pass your wiring
> through such a hole,
>
> I have one room in my basement which was never correctly or adequately
> wired for power or ethernet. My difficulty is the lack of access via
> the ceiling and walls, so I know this is a challenge but it's not
> impossible.

Good questions.

The room of interest has a finished bedroom above it, with no cat-5,
and a finished basement room below it, with no cat-5. I can get cat-5
in the attic, but that's two floors up, and I reckon it would be
pretty easy to drop cable into the upstairs room, but then getting it
down another floor would be tricky, since there's a sub-floor, right?

The odd thing is that I'm sure there *used* to be cat-5 in the room of
interest, but I think it got removed when the previous owners knocked
out a wall in the room to make another door.

--Dave