Tricky Cat-5 Wiring

Scott Jones sanchiro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 21:30:41 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I know this is somewhat off topic, but then again, what isn't on Plug?
>
> I live in a 3-story house with all three floors finished. The house is
> about 5 years old. Some of the rooms have cat-5 wiring, but others
> don't. One such room is the office on the middle story, where I want
> to run some cat-5 (there are so many Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity
> that my bandwidth stinks). I have cat-5 in the attic, which originated
> in the basement, that runs to other rooms on the same floor. So my
> question: Is it possible to run a cable into a room on the middle
> floor without totally trashing the drywall? I just don't see it, and
> my Google fu has apparently waned.

Dave:

The question is really one of access, i.e., whether you have regions
where you can pass the wire between studs or joists. The termination
in the wall is no problem with those blind boxes that you can anchor
wherever needed.

I saw the guys on This Old House using a wacky REALLY LONG drill one
day to bore access holes through wall framing footers to run plumbing.
I think you could accomplish the same thing and just pass your wiring
through such a hole,

I have one room in my basement which was never correctly or adequately
wired for power or ethernet. My difficulty is the lack of access via
the ceiling and walls, so I know this is a challenge but it's not
impossible.