Tricky Cat-5 Wiring

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Dec 22 21:25:53 MST 2009

In the past, I have pulled the carpet away from the baseboards, and
drilled in a hole between the baseboards and the floor. When you put
the carpet back, it just looks like a cable coming out of the floor.
On at least one occassion, I have just left it like that, since the
cable was hidden by a desk or something. On a ouple of others, I
bought an external outlet box and a faceplate with keystone connectors
to mount on the wall.

Does that help?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I know this is somewhat off topic, but then again, what isn't on Plug?
>
> I live in a 3-story house with all three floors finished. The house is
> about 5 years old. Some of the rooms have cat-5 wiring, but others
> don't. One such room is the office on the middle story, where I want
> to run some cat-5 (there are so many Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity
> that my bandwidth stinks). I have cat-5 in the attic, which originated
> in the basement, that runs to other rooms on the same floor. So my
> question: Is it possible to run a cable into a room on the middle
> floor without totally trashing the drywall? I just don't see it, and
> my Google fu has apparently waned.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Dave

Joseph