Local server hardware

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Sat Dec 19 13:11:47 MST 2009

On 12/15/2009 9:56 AM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a place in SLC/Utah Valley that carries
> server hardware or parts?  I'm looking for a low-profile gigabit
> ethernet PCI-E adapter.  2 ports would be perfect.
>
> I have a supermicro (2U) server that has on-board NICs, but I can't
> get them working for the life of me :(  I've tried everything, BIOS,
> MB jumpers, mod_probing drivers and blindly flipping any switch that I
> can find.  At this point, I'm willing to pay to make the problem go
> away, but I don't have time to wait on shipping.
>
> Times like this, I wish I was on the SLLUG list too!

what model of supermicro server? which motherboard? i actually had a
huge problem with some new supermicro gear last summer where the nic was
newer than the kernel shipping with the distro i was using (debian
lenny). if it is one of the supermicro motherboards with the new nehalem
xeons, then it probably is a intel 82576 chipset for the nics. this
doesn't use the e1000e driver. it uses igb and is only supported by the
in kernel driver for 2.6.29 or higher. i ended up having to compile the
driver from intel against the 2.6.26 kernel so that i could wedge it
into the debian-installer so i could pxe install these servers. hope
that helps a little.

mike