Local server hardware

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Tue Dec 15 11:34:06 MST 2009

On 12/15/2009 11:18 AM, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> I also am interested in a copy/paste of, say, the dmidecode command. That
> should tell you what motherboard model you've got. The lspci command should
> indicate the make and model of the ethernet chipset(s).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/

Once you know which model of ethernet, you can dig through the developer
manual on this site and figure out which driver actually supports it
(e1000, e1000e, igb, ixgbe, igbvf, etc).

Oh, and e1000e is allegedly backwards compatible with the e1000 stuff,
but in practice it is not always.

-Steve