cheap raid card recognized by both linux and Windoze xp

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Tue Dec 15 01:05:06 MST 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 15:25:54 Kelly Terry wrote:
> I have a multiboot system that I use both linux and windows xp on.  It
> had an 80 gb drive which was inadequate for recording tv on.  I got
> 2-640 gb drives that I want to stripe in a raid 0 and do a clean
> reinstall of both os's.  The only problem is in using the linux
> installer for partition setup and formatting.  The mobo supports raid
> and windows recognizes it as such.  To get the linux partitions set up
> the installer (Mandriva, OpenSuse, Kubuntu) doesn't recognize it as a
> raid set up.  It sees each drive separately and allows me to partition
> and format each one individually but not as a raid.  Does anyone know
> of a cheap raid card that will allow both drives to seen by linux
> installers as a raid and not individually?

Cheap + RAID = fakeraid. All the motherboards that promise onboard RAID are
really just giving you Windows drivers so you can do software RAID within
Windows. For true cross-platform RAID, you've really got to cough up at least
a hundred bucks, maybe two or three hundred, and get something made by Areca,
3Ware, LSI Logic, or Adaptec.

Now, with that being said, there are some Linux drivers for various pieces of
"fakeraid" hardware. For the best info, see this site:

	http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

--
Doran L. "Fozz" Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com>
Open-source developer, sysadmin, consultant, and all-around geeky dude