cheap raid card recognized by both linux and Windoze xp

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Dec 14 17:03:12 MST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 15:25 -0700, Kelly Terry wrote:
> Does anyone know
> of a cheap raid card that will allow both drives to seen by linux
> installers as a raid and not individually?

Cheap RAID is usually a waste of money.

Like Winmodems or yore, they cheat and offload work back to the CPU,
resulting is worse performance than when Linux is allowed to just do
everything on the CPU without silly interrupt dances. Without good
battery-backed cache management, they also do nothing to protect your
data better than pure Linux software RAID.

I've heard that software RAID on certain other OSes is pathetic. Maybe
that's why people bother with crappy hardware RAID. But Linux software
RAID is very high quality. If you don't want to pay for high quality
hardware RAID, you might be better off going pure software RAID.

using enough of it." - Chris Maden