bz tarball recovery

Russel Caldwell caldr704 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 09:57:53 MST 2009

> Maybe it wasn't created correctly. In other words, maybe it isn't bz.
>
> Are you doing tar xvfj tarball.tar.bz? Try letting tar auto-detect the
> format by doing just tar xvf tarball.tar.bz
>
> You could also try using the file command to double check the file
> format.
>
> When I do file myDocs.bz it returns:
bzip2 compressed data, block size = 900k

When I do file myDocs.bz it returns:

bzip2 compressed data, block size = 900k

 When I do tar xfj myDocs.bz it returns:

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.

tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

 When I do tar xvf myDocs.bz it returns:

tar: myDocs/: Cannot read: Is a directory

tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

 When I do bzip2 -tvv myDocs.bz to check the integrity of the file the final
line of output says:

[139: huff+mtf rt+rld]data integrity (CRC) error in data

 I've tried to use 'bzip2recover' and as far as I can tell there seems to be
four blocks of corrupted data.