looking for a sys admin

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:38:32 MST 2009

I know this thread has gone on and on, I can't help but add a bit more....

It seems that too often employees get treated as disposable assets, while at
the same time are expected to be loyal.

Case in point:
Typically, when an employee leaves a company, he/she gives at least two
weeks notice - sometimes more.
And in my experience, is often asked to train the replacement and is
expected to remain at least somewhat available in case questions come up.
Basically, "you know your decision to leave has left us in a real bind,
please help us make this transition..."

Now when an employee's employment get terminated, that's the end.  The
employer, at least in my experience, never helps make the transition for the
employee.
The employee pleas of "you know your decision to terminate my employment
here has left me in a real bind, please help me make this transition."

Now I understand that business have to let people go.

But just once I'd like to hear of a situation similar to the following:
"We're so sorry, but we need to let you go.  We understand that this will
put you in a real bind."
"To help we're going to give you two weeks severance."
"We'll do everything we can to see that you get unemployment, and that your
eligible for COBRA etc."
"We'll also do everything we can to see that you get another job as soon as
possible, please feel free to use us as a recommendation."
"Again, we're really sorry."

It just seems that relationship between employer and employee is really
asymmetric.  That's probably because they are more people that needs jobs
than available jobs, however
I don't believe that anyway to treat another human being.

My $.02