looking for a sys admin

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Dec 10 16:37:08 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 16:27 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> I don't understand this double-standard that we hold where the
> employer should bend-over backwards to be "loyal" to us, but we
> reserve the right to abandon them the moment we find a better offer,
> or simply feel like quitting to collect unemployment/welfare.

What double standard? Not everyone takes a totally mercenary approach to
employment. Size of paycheck is far from the only variable when a person
decides how long to stay with a company. Enjoying the work, having a
good relationship with management and coworkers, convenient location,
convenient hours, gratitude for past recognitions, a set of shell
scripts to fully automate all responsibilities--all of these can
contribute to a sense of loyalty.

Loyalty to and identification with a company may be maladaptive in many
situations, but I don't think it's a bad thing. So long as one is
careful picking employers, it can lead to a lot more satisfaction than a
fat paycheck.

After all, if we all only cared about money, we'd probably be Java
programmers instead. ;-)

using enough of it." - Chris Maden