looking for a sys admin

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:27:30 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Robert Merrill <robertmerrill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Most of the time, people get treated as disposable assets.
>
> It is unfortunate but true, you just wrote the world's smallest book
> on career management.

Of course we're disposable assets.  Just as our employers are
disposable to us.  Is there anything wrong with that?  If your
employer stopped paying you, would you still work for them?  What if
they only halved your pay?  Hopefully you have the good sense to kick
them to the curb the moment you have a better offer.
Likewise, if I suck at my job and my employer feels like they are
getting ripped off due to my lack of ability, they shouldn't hesitate
to show me the door.  The same is true if my employer likes my work,
but simply can't afford me.

I don't understand this double-standard that we hold where the
employer should bend-over backwards to be "loyal" to us, but we
reserve the right to abandon them the moment we find a better offer,
or simply feel like quitting to collect unemployment/welfare.

Personally, I appreciate the clarity about the situation.  If my
employment contributes to my employer's success then hooray for us.
If not, then they should fire me (sucks for me, hooray for them).  If
on the other hand, I find a better offer from another company, you
better believe that I would jump ship without thinking twice (hooray
for me, sucks for them).

Neither one of us is "bad".  We're just both looking out for our own
self-interest respectively.  Typically both our self-interests are
best served by our current arrangement and thus I stay working for
them, and they continue to send money to my bank account.  Everybody
wins.

-Bryan