looking for a sys admin

William Attwood wattwood at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:58:03 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Steven Alligood <steve at bluehost.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/2009 05:05 PM, Brandon Stout wrote:
>
>> In the case that
>> there's a real flake on the team, the best coaches will often still make
>> a difference, but when they can't, they'll still shine because all the
>> rest of the team is doing well, and the coach or mentor will still be
>> looking for ways to make the one low performer do better, never excusing
>> his own role.  That is quality mentoring.
>>
>> Brandon
>>

> Why should the rest of the team have to carry a poor performer?
>
> A mentor's role is to make sure the rest of the team learns, grows, and can
> do their jobs.  If one person continually causes the rest of the team to
> have to work more and do that person's job, then the team is better off
> without that poor performer.
>
> I am not talking about junior people that just haven't had the time to
> learn, or even the new guy.  I am talking about the guy that has been there
> for enough time to learn, and still never carries his own weight.  I don't
> care what a mentor is "supposed" to do; that person needs to go, and the
> team is better off without them.
>
> "Quality mentoring" is helping those who wish to be helped and can make a
> difference to the team.  Trying to mentor those who cannot or will not learn
> is wasting both your and the company's time and money.  A strong team comes
> from working hard with those who will also work hard, expecting a high level
> of quality, and treating professionals as professionals.
>
> -Steve

Steve, I slightly agree with you...  Without your thinking, focusing back on
the message prior to this one... Is this when we turn to the "No Child Left
Behind" mentality?  If I recall, the type of thinking that put additional
focus on poor performers also caused great performers to suffer, as they had
to slow down and wait on those who didn't have the proficiency.....

I agree, there's a process in weeding out those who's focus is better put on
other areas, thereby allowing great performers to continue as unhindered as
possible.

--
Take care,
William Attwood
wattwood at gmail.com

Ted Turner <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html>  -
"Sports is like a war without the killing."