looking for a sys admin

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Tue Dec 8 10:51:56 MST 2009

On 12/07/2009 05:05 PM, Brandon Stout wrote:
> In the case that
> there's a real flake on the team, the best coaches will often still make
> a difference, but when they can't, they'll still shine because all the
> rest of the team is doing well, and the coach or mentor will still be
> looking for ways to make the one low performer do better, never excusing
> his own role.  That is quality mentoring.
>
> Brandon

Why should the rest of the team have to carry a poor performer?

A mentor's role is to make sure the rest of the team learns, grows, and
can do their jobs.  If one person continually causes the rest of the
team to have to work more and do that person's job, then the team is
better off without that poor performer.

I am not talking about junior people that just haven't had the time to
learn, or even the new guy.  I am talking about the guy that has been
there for enough time to learn, and still never carries his own weight.
I don't care what a mentor is "supposed" to do; that person needs to go,
and the team is better off without them.

"Quality mentoring" is helping those who wish to be helped and can make
a difference to the team.  Trying to mentor those who cannot or will not
learn is wasting both your and the company's time and money.  A strong
team comes from working hard with those who will also work hard,
expecting a high level of quality, and treating professionals as
professionals.

-Steve