looking for a sys admin

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Mon Dec 7 17:05:13 MST 2009

On 12/07/2009 09:31 AM, Steven Alligood wrote:

> I follow the same basic idea as the job description has in it, but not
> quite so harsh.
>
> I will tell you once how to do something.  Most people that make good
> admins will pick things up quickly, and the nature of the job demands
> that they do so.  In my case, however, I understand that there are a
> lot of things on admin's plates, so if you have to ask a second time
> (occasionally), that's OK, but you had better write it down that time,
> because I do not have the time in my schedule to show it a third
> time.  If I am consistently showing things three times, I might as
> well do it rather than have another admin on staff.
>
> Most admins will either remember something the first time, or learn
> quickly to write it down.  This is a fast paced, high pressure job
> that requires it's participants to be able to learn a lot very
> quickly.  Those who do will succeed and do very well, those who don't
> will either stagnate in their mediocrity or find another job.  There
> is a reason that entry level for admins is $35-45k, midlevel is
> $50-65k, and senior is $70-$100k+
>
> -Steve

I agree here mostly.  Of course a good for the new employee to take
notes and especially if it's something he has a question on that has
been discussed before.  It is up to the learner to do his best to
learn.  However, there is a reason I prefer the term 'mentor' or 'coach'
to supervisor or Sr. Tech.  A good mentor will not excuse himself by
saying that a mediocre person on his team is just mediocre, especially
if there are lots of 'mediocre' or poorly performing people on his
team.  Quality mentoring means asking yourself what you can do to drive
everyone's success up, not just those that do best on their own.  The
learner takes takes responsibility to learn, and the mentor takes
responsibility to make sure they learn.  Good coaches will show their
quality by having a whole team of high performers.  In the case that
there's a real flake on the team, the best coaches will often still make
a difference, but when they can't, they'll still shine because all the
rest of the team is doing well, and the coach or mentor will still be
looking for ways to make the one low performer do better, never excusing
his own role.  That is quality mentoring.

Brandon