looking for a sys admin

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Mon Dec 7 16:54:20 MST 2009

On 12/06/2009 10:32 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> So you can speak in absolutes, but he can not?

That depends on the absolute.  Some are true.  Some are not.  Naturally
occurring snow and ice are always cold, absolutely.  Never wanting to
teach the same point twice is not a good expectation.  Not wanting to
explain everything twice is reasonable, but never explaining anything
twice is not reasonable.  Absolutely.

> The longer I work, the more I realize my mentor's advice to keep a good
> log book. I would argue that between paying attention, taking notes and
> knowing how to find information without help, a person with aptitude can
> avoid most repetition when learning a new job.

I agree.  The keyword here is 'most'.  They can avoid 'most' repetition,
but rarely *all* repetition.  No matter how good someone is, they will
almost certainly miss something, especially if it's something complex
and new.