looking for a sys admin

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Mon Dec 7 09:31:29 MST 2009

On 12/06/2009 09:47 PM, Brandon Stout wrote:
> On 12/06/2009 07:05 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>

>> Mike Nelson wrote:
>>

>>> - If I teach you something once, I don't want to ever teach it to you again
>>>

>> Don't get me wrong, but that really isn't something you want to put on a
>> job advert. And for only $35-$60K? Are there any benefits that will make
>> up for the pay?
>>
> Thank you Aaron, for saying that.  Those were my thoughts exactly, as a
> job seeker.  I think I learn quickly, and I have a long 19 year history
> of good grades to prove it, expecting someone to remember everything the
> first time, perfectly?  That's ridiculous.  Einstein failed math once.
> Michael Jordan didn't make his high school basketball team the first
> time he tried.  That one line "If I teach you something once, I don't
> ever want to teach it to you again", was the reason I didn't apply for
> this job.  Other than that, I might have applied.  I'm even caring about
> the wages less.  I just want full time work and benefits so I can start
> moving forward again.
>
> A good mentor is one that has patience - one who can teach the same
> point different ways to custom fit every individual.  He has patience
> and a drive to make the person they are mentoring succeed.  Someone who
> *never* wants to teach the same point twice is no mentor.

I follow the same basic idea as the job description has in it, but not
quite so harsh.

I will tell you once how to do something.  Most people that make good
admins will pick things up quickly, and the nature of the job demands
that they do so.  In my case, however, I understand that there are a lot
of things on admin's plates, so if you have to ask a second time
(occasionally), that's OK, but you had better write it down that time,
because I do not have the time in my schedule to show it a third time.
If I am consistently showing things three times, I might as well do it
rather than have another admin on staff.

Most admins will either remember something the first time, or learn
quickly to write it down.  This is a fast paced, high pressure job that
requires it's participants to be able to learn a lot very quickly.
Those who do will succeed and do very well, those who don't will either
stagnate in their mediocrity or find another job.  There is a reason
that entry level for admins is $35-45k, midlevel is $50-65k, and senior
is $70-$100k+.

-Steve