Can mySQL and MSSQL coexist on the same server peacefully?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Dec 4 18:21:42 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Stuart Jansen wrote:
>>> Michael, you should know better.  I run MSSQL Server & IIS using wine
>>> on Linux all the time - it runs wonderfully well.  The performance is
>>> really impressive and it's nice to have "Enterprise" database and
>>> webserver options that work well on Linux.  I'll write up some
>>> documentation and post it for those who might be interested.
>>
>> Okay, good one. You got me.
>>
>> At least I hope you're kidding.
>>
>> You are kidding, aren't you?
>>
>> Please say you're just kidding!
>
> Lurkers everywhere would like to hear the answer to this one. :-)

No really, it's marvelous.  Think about it...  you get all the
benefits of a truly enterprise DB (MSSQL) and world-class webserver
(IIS) without having to leave Linux.  And thanks to the Wine project,
it Just Works.

The best part is that doing a simple "apt-get install wine" is much
easier then installing Windows and keeping it updated.  Well, since
we're using Fedora[1] for our production servers, it's more like "yum
install wine", but you get the picture.

Best,
Gabe

1) Fedora generally has the latest packages, and that's *key* when
running Wine in production environment.