VPS Host Recommendations?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Apr 28 21:46:46 MDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Andrew McNabb wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 04:49:35PM -0600, Kimball Larsen wrote:
>> Well, specifically, I'm trying to find a happy place for a Magento
>> install.
>>
>> Magento is a web store, that makes heavy use of templates and many
>> layers of dynamic content generation to build its pages.  For
>> example,
>> to load the homepage of a magento store, you'll execute > 350
>> individual
>> php scripts, and there are some functions that will be hit > 17k
>> times
>> (yes, THOUSAND).
>
> And you think the solution is to add more hardware?

Initially, no, I was loathe to just throw hardware at it - especially
when I have respectable iron laying around to test it on.  It has
taken a few days of trolling on the Magento forums and in irc to get
me convinced I really should slap it on a VPS.  The reason I chose the
hosting company I did is because they not only have hardware that will
run Magento well, they have expertise to set up their environment and
the Magento install to run well.  In my case, getting the store to run
faster took a combination of better hardware and some configuration
changes, which the folks at my new hosting company provided.

-- Kimball