VPS Host Recommendations?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Apr 28 21:44:03 MDT 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Daniel C. wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Kimball Larsen
> <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
>> Well, specifically, I'm trying to find a happy place for a Magento
>> install.
>
> This is a potential thread hijack, but what's so great about Magento
> that it's worth finding a hosting solution specifically for the
> software?  If it's worth the trouble, I want to learn about it.
>
> Dan

I've used OSCommerce and ZenCart (an OSC derivative) for years.  I've
always been annoyed by how inflexible and fragile they are - as soon
as you install a module to do something specific, the store become
massively harder to upgrade.

Magento cures this, and adds the ability to host multiple websites and
multiple stores on each website and multiple skins on each store.
So, you can have a single catalog of products that are all sold
through multiple outlets, and have it all tracked in one management
backend.  For us, this was the killer feature that Magento offers - we
can now combine our 3 ZenCart stores into a single Magento install.

I'm not sure if other stores do this or not, but magento is very
flexible, easy to modify safely, and fits our business need
perfectly.  It's just a resource hog.

-- Kimball