VPS Host Recommendations?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Apr 28 16:49:35 MDT 2009

Well, specifically, I'm trying to find a happy place for a Magento
install.

Magento is a web store, that makes heavy use of templates and many
layers of dynamic content generation to build its pages.  For example,
to load the homepage of a magento store, you'll execute > 350
individual php scripts, and there are some functions that will be hit
 > 17k times (yes, THOUSAND).

I first set up our store on a shared hosting space on hostmonster -
the homepage was taking between 15-30 seconds to load.  Goodbye
customers.
I then set up an install on my new home server that I just built up
last week - it's an intel Core2Duo @ 3ghz with 4GB of ram, and a
7200RPM 1GB drive.  I was planning to just use it to host my personal
stuff as my home servers have done in the past, but for comparison I
loaded Magento up on it.
That got the homepage loading down to about 8 seconds or so, after I
heavily tweaked both the php and mysql installs on the box.

Still - 8 seconds is too long for me.

So I went shopping around - I checked into Verio a bit, but ultimately
decided to go with Crucial, because they have plans that are centered
around a Magento store, and have support staff dedicated to helping
squish magento problems.

When I first installed everything on their servers this afternoon, the
homepage load times were down around about 6 seconds - so a little
better than my home box, but still not in the 2-3 second range I'm
shooting for.  I contacted their support and had a response back in a
just a few minutes about possible causes.  I've looked into 2 of the
items they suggested, which both turned out to be problems.  They've
been corrected and the homepage loads in 3-4 seconds now.  I'll have
to look into the other items they suggested tonight to see what else
can be done, but other Magento stores on the same box that I'm on run
very fast.

So, I'm happy with Crucial so far - $25/month for their "Split
Shared"[1] account seems perfect for my needs.

Thanks everyone, for the input.

[1]: http://www.crucialwebhost.com/hosting/split-shared/

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com