VPS Host Recommendations?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:12:51 MDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I love my Linode, but I don't work it very hard. I have the cheapest Linode,
> but when I need to move some data over the Internet fast, it keeps up
> nicely. I can move well over 8 Mbps without breaking a sweat.

This has been my experience as well, and I have their smallest plan.
I love Linode - the server and the company (as in people) are great.
But I've never really stress tested anything of theirs.  Whereas I
know for a fact that Verio (which also has fantastic technology and
people) can deal with huge amounts of traffic.  I once took a tech
support call from a guy whose site had been slashdotted (literally).
He was on their middle of the line server and it was actually holding
up respectably.  I mean, respectably considering what was being thrown
at it.  As an aside, the customer himself was not terribly pleased -
he sounded about 70 years old, had never heard of slashdot, etc., and
just wanted his website back up.

Anyway, Verio's servers run quite a bit more price-wise, but in my
opinion the superior infrastructure, superior service (it was not
unheard of for tech support agents to help troubleshoot a customer's
own programming if they knew the language and had time), and a lot of
other things combined makes them worth it, IF you need what they have
to offer.

Dan