Data extraction

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Apr 28 09:22:57 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 10:47 -0400, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant)
wrote:
> I do have a couple other spare routers, and I have a older ocean 8 port
> hub/switch which I haven't tried yet. If I plug everything two machines
> in a hub, won't it allow the two to communicate, i.e., will it route
> traffic between the two machines attached to it?

You're mixing terms here. A router and a hub or switch are very
different beasts. With a hub or switch, the two machines will not need
to route to each other as they'll be on the same subnet. As long as the
IP address are correct, it will Just Work(tm).

The problem you would run into is connecting to another network, such as
your ISP. For that you would need a router and not a hub or switch.

Now, just to confuse you a bit more, consumer-grade routers typically
have a switch built in.

Corey