Apple and CUPS

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Apr 28 00:01:17 MDT 2009


On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Add this line to Apple's cupsd.conf:
>
> BrowseRemoteProtocols all
> BrowseProtocols All


I wanted to reply to this once I had a chance to revisit the topic and
figure out what as going on.  Well, here I am!

It turns out that it was a client-side cups misconfiguration issue.  I
didn't expect that because it didn't work on my Ubuntu laptop.  So, it
*must* have been the server ;)

Well, Ubuntu or any other recently installed box running cups likely
defaults BrowseRemoteProtocols to "dnssd" and older systems are
usually set to "cups".  The server I'm using has CUPS 1.1 and its
default (not stated in the config) is "cups".  All the new Macs in the
office and my Ubuntu laptop default to "dnssd" (again, not explicitly
stated in the config).  Older Macs have "cups" as a default and work
out-of-the-box.

It didn't help that the OFFICIAL docs state the following:
The BrowseRemoteProtocols directive specifies the protocols to use
when finding remote shared printers on the network. <snip/> The
default is .

All we did was add the "BrowseRemoteProtocols all" parameter to
/etc/cups/cupsd.config.default and did a Printing-System-Reset" via
the OSX GUI.  The fresh config picked up the new default and it was
smooth sailing from there.

BTW, setting the server to do dnssd was not an option as it doesn't
look like it was supported back in 1.1.  Also, we didn't want to mess
with the BrowseProtocols as it would add more noise to the growing
list of printers already showing up on the network.  In fact, maybe I
should have set it to "none".

Thanks all for the help!


Gabe



More information about the PLUG mailing list