Offsite Multi TB Backup Solution?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Sat Apr 25 00:00:46 MDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 04:32:38PM -0600, Kimball Larsen wrote:
>> Good thoughts - but I'm now in the Boise area. :)
>>
>> I've
>> read that amanda can be set up to store a copy of the backups on an
>> AmazonS3 share.  Does anyone here have any experience doing so?
>
> I have no idea whether Amanda can do that, but what I have done could
> be useful.
>
> Back up to external drive A, using Amanda's virtual tape setup.
>
> Have two more expternal drives, B and C. Swap between them. One is
> installed and the other off site, with weekly rotation. Use a script
> based on rsync to keep the installed one up to date.
>
> The application here is: If you can rsync to Amazon, you're in. Or
> forget Amazon and just do what I do, rotate between two drives.
>
> (Why use an external drive for A? So you can move it to another
> machine if you need to.)
>
> How much data do you have to back up?

This is an interesting idea.  I have quite a bit of data.  I'm using
backuppc at the moment, and it reports a current pool size of just
about 600 GB.  This represents roughly a month's worth of backups
(done ever 6 hours on most hosts, with full backups done every 2
weeks, incrementals done in between) for 8 hosts, including our
production servers and main work computers for all employees. I've
heard that backuppc is more efficient at storing backups because it
uses hard links - will amanda consume significantly more space to
provide as many backups?

For example, if Amanda will take up 2TB to store the same amount of
backup data as backuppc does today, It's not so simple as external
drives, unless I want to drop a bunch of dough on desktop RAID systems
and just swap them out back and forth.

Now, we don't mind spending some money to get a good solution in
place, but before we do we want to investigate as many options as
possible and make sure we are choosing the most elegant and / or
cleanest solution.

Thoughts?

-- Kimball