Offsite Multi TB Backup Solution?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Apr 24 17:51:33 MDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 04:32:38PM -0600, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> Good thoughts - but I'm now in the Boise area. :)
>
> I've
> read that amanda can be set up to store a copy of the backups on an
> AmazonS3 share.  Does anyone here have any experience doing so?

I have no idea whether Amanda can do that, but what I have done could
be useful.

Back up to external drive A, using Amanda's virtual tape setup.

Have two more expternal drives, B and C. Swap between them. One is
installed and the other off site, with weekly rotation. Use a script
based on rsync to keep the installed one up to date.

The application here is: If you can rsync to Amazon, you're in. Or
forget Amazon and just do what I do, rotate between two drives.

(Why use an external drive for A? So you can move it to another
machine if you need to.)

How much data do you have to back up?