Bulletproof router

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Apr 24 17:18:04 MDT 2009

Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> My router might be dying, but I am unsure.
>
> I have a WRTP54G router at home, with 2 phone ports. It's locked by
> Vonage, with whom I have VOIP.
>
> Here's my dilemma: I believe the router is dying, but I hate to toss it
> if it's just needing some TLC. I am hooked on VOIP, so I need something
> that will provide my VOIP connection. Plus I can't just get a new number
> as  the phone number with Vonage is for my business. I have to retain
> the # or carry it over to something new.
>
> What would be a solid, reliable, doesn't-die-every-2-years device, in
> the quality ballpark with a Cisco 675 modem/router? If I could find a
> better device that I know will work and not give me trouble, I'd switch,
> and I'd switch VOIP service, if I can find a better solution, at the
> same cost or lower. I pay about $44 per month for my VOIP service, for a
> business line.. Which includes 2 lines, one for voice, one for
> data/fax/credit card terminal.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Scott

Linksys WRT54GL with your choice of third party firmware. This has been
brought up many times and that seems to be generally accepted as a solid
solution on the cheap. I have had mine since May 2005 (granted it was
just the WRT54G then but same device) and has been a champ ever since.
I've got other ones that family members use that have been working for
almost as long.

Mike