[OT] Re: try to get phpmyadmin to work

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Apr 24 15:33:55 MDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Michael Torrie wrote:

>> pg_hba.conf is used to determine who can *connect*.
>
> But why is this needed at all?  MySQL lets me control all of this
> without ever having to touch the config file, which is kind of important
> in a hosted environment where the MySQL server is shared among many
> customers.

It could certainly be done differently, but that's the way it's been done.

It's a separation of authentication from authorization. All the
network-level connection concerns are done in that configuration file,
while all the post-connection questions about authorization are done in
the database schema itself.

You can make a change to pg_hba.conf and send a HUP signal to load it
without disrupting service.

Postgres's users are a little different from MySQL's. In MySQL they're
arbitrary login and access names. In Postgres they are system roles that
actually own objects -- if you try to delete one it will tell you that
that role still owns objects.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen