Two or more webs at home - multiple SSL hosts

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Fri Apr 24 10:49:33 MDT 2009

On 4/22/2009 5:26 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> One technique I use to provide SSL access for a couple of different
> virtual hosts is to use different ports.  domain A would be
> https://A.domain:1443, domain B could be https://B.domain:2443.  Not
> super clean, but it works pretty well, especially if you're direction
> traffic to SSL from a non-ssl page to begin with.

Another method of hosting multiple SSL sites from one IP address is to
use a wildcard certificate.  This works especially well with subdomain
sites (ie "*.example.com").  If you are only using the SSL to encrypt
the traffic to your "personal" sites, you could even go as far as
creating a self signed top level domain wildcard certificate (ie "*").
Then *any* domain your personal server hosts can use this same SSL
certificate on the same IP address.  The one downfall of a self signed
certificate is users are prompted initially that the CA is not
recognized, but if this is for a personal or family site, this is
usually an acceptable trade off.

Kenneth