Remote terminal sharing solution

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Wed Apr 22 18:36:48 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kibitz is pretty darn close... if only I could figure out how it
> works... :)  Will have to overcome my revulsion to tcl I guess.

FWIW, the original kibitz was written in expect (which uses tcl under the
covers), but you don't need to know a word of tcl to use it.

kibitz could hardly be easier to use--think "talk" and you're pretty much
there.  One user types "kibitz buddyusername", which starts a new session
and sends a message to buddyusername's terminal telling him/her what kibitz
command to type to join the session.  Once buddyusername types that command
into his/her shell, the two users are joined together in the kibitz session.

If there are any surprises surrounding kibitz, the primary one is that it's
not more widely known and used.  It's one of those gems like xargs that is
supremely useful and yet still obscure.

Chris