Two or more webs at home

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:26:45 MDT 2009

Gary Thornock wrote:
> --- On Wed, 4/22/09, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) <Scott.1Jones at ge.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to host/serve/run two or more web sites at one
>> location with one static IP?
>>
>> I have my web but my three boys will soon want to set up their
>> own web sites and update and manage each on their own. Can
>> these all run from my home network? These will not likely be
>> commerce sites, but just fun, more or less static sites for my
>> boys to get their feet wet.
>>
>> Am I thinking of virtual servers? What are the possibilities
>> here?
>
> Not only possible but easy.  In a stock Apache httpd.conf,
> search for the keyword "NameVirtualHost".  There are pretty
> good instructions right in the comments in the file.

One technique I use to provide SSL access for a couple of different
virtual hosts is to use different ports.  domain A would be
https://A.domain:1443, domain B could be https://B.domain:2443.  Not
super clean, but it works pretty well, especially if you're direction
traffic to SSL from a non-ssl page to begin with.