firewalls, virtual hosts, and a free html class was: Word scrambling

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Wed Apr 22 16:27:09 MDT 2009

Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:

> What I'd like to know is why, or rather how, my company's firewall and
> routing h/w and s/w interprets, correctly or incorrectly, that a domain
> such as www.jwz.org is 'dangerous' and thus prevents me from browsing
> it. Any ideas how a corporate firewall would make such a decision? I'll
> visit this link at home tonight.

Your company can be doing one of the two things.  Key word blocking or
subscribing to a filter service.  They are probably doing the later.  It
should tell you what it is using when it blocks the page.  We use
fortiguard filtering service which puts things into different
catagories.  Fortiguard has jwz.org listed as malware.  I can submit a
request to fortiguard that it unblock the site, but being somewhat
familiar with the site, I wouldn't be surprised if you could download
malware from it....

That said I have had to request that all of my own websites be unblocked
by fortiguard(they all share the same ip on a linode virtual server
btw).  They did unblock them all.  I think they may have been blocked
because I had an unprotected wiki that had been taken advantage of by
spammers(which I had since cleaned up).

On the topic of children setting up web pages.  I am teaching a class at
the Salt Lake City Library on using HTML & CSS.  It is meant as a VERY
basic class on what HTML is and how to make a basic web page.  I'm
teaching it tonight(wednesday April 22nd) at 6:30 pm.  I'll be doing
another one in July 8th 2:00pm.  More information(including an outline
and examples) can be found at ugotta.org(with a disabled wiki :).

Kyle