Data extraction

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Apr 22 12:24:36 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:36:49AM -0400, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> >What do you mean by "SEE"? You can't get on the network? You
> >don't see it in Places-> Network? I'm going to assume the
> >former, because 1) I never use the latter, and 2) you don't
> >want to use "Windows networking" (aka Samba) anyway.
>
> By 'see' I mean, even though each machine can access resources on the
> 'net, non can connect to and access LOCAL resources, despite all being
> connected through the same router. On one machine I can see a window's
> network icon, but I click on it and generate a permissions error, that I
> don't have sufficient permissions to access those resources.
>
> In suggestion I avoid Samba, are you indicating that NFS would work much
> better? Samba has always, until now, worked well for me, but I am
> willing to give NFS a shot. I really don't care which I use, as long as
> I can enable sharing among these machines and establish remote access
> and control that works too.

NFS will avoid the permissions problems that using Samba gives you. In
short, Samba tries to use Unix permission to fake Windows
permission. Going back the other way doesn't always work.

On the other tentacle, NFS can be a bear to set up and can have
security issues.

> >This sounds like a networking problem. Does your DHCP server
> >have an entry for the spare machine? If not, I would use
> >ifconfig and route to manually set up the spare machine
> >(assuming this is a one-off job). First, on Ubuntu, take
> >NetworkManager out and shoot it.
>
> On my router's web admin screen, it shows machines on my LAN, even
> though those machines can't talk to each other. I have uninstalled
> NetworkManager, even though it was working fine.

You probably don't need to uninstall it, but since you have, you might
as well leave it uninstalled until you're done.

> >/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
> >

> >Then, adjusting to suit your network:
> >
> >IF=eth0
> >ifconfig $IF 192.168.23.4
> >
> >route del default
> >route add default gw 192.168.23.31
> >route -n
> >
> >cat > /etc/resolv.conf <<EORES
> >search localdomain
> >nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >nameserver 192.168.23.30
> >nameserver 192.168.23.4
> >EORES
> >
> >ifconfig $IF
>
> Are these in a script, or just entered at the command prompt? I don't
> mean to sound ignorant here, but I am not sure how to use these.

I'd do it as a script, but you can copy and paste each line (or
several), editing as needed, into a terminal. A script is easier to
re-run. If you do create a script, don't forget to set its permissions
to be executable.

chmod u+x scriptname

> >You should now be on the network. Ping a known good host by IP
> >address to verify networking, then by host name to verify name lookup.
> >
> >Then use rsync, as Nicholas suggested, and *NOT* samba.
> >
> >Personally, I'd use finnix for this. Much faster boot time,
> >and no NetworkManager to get in your way.
>
> Is 'finnix' then a replacement for NetworkManager?

Nope, it's a small Linux distribution suitable for rescue
operations. Which you'd know had you googled on "finnix":

    Finnix

    Dec 4, 2008 ... Finnix is a self-contained, bootable Linux CD
    distribution ("LiveCD") for system administrators, based on Debian
    testing. ...

It doesn't use NM, but will look for a DHCP server to get IP address
assignments.

Ignorance is fine (I'm rather good at it, in fact), but you should do
some of the legwork yourself.