Data extraction

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Apr 22 10:30:59 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:36:49AM -0400, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> >What do you mean by "SEE"? You can't get on the network? You
> >don't see it in Places-> Network? I'm going to assume the
> >former, because 1) I never use the latter, and 2) you don't
> >want to use "Windows networking" (aka Samba) anyway.
>
> By 'see' I mean, even though each machine can access resources on the
> 'net, non can connect to and access LOCAL resources, despite all being
> connected through the same router. On one machine I can see a window's
> network icon, but I click on it and generate a permissions error, that I
> don't have sufficient permissions to access those resources.

Odd. This could be an overly-officious router/switch. Can you ping
from any one machine to any other? As root:

ping -c 5 foo

You should see, e.g.:

root at dragon:~# ping chaffee
PING chaffee.localdomain (192.168.1.30) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from chaffee.localdomain (192.168.1.30): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.11 ms
64 bytes from chaffee.localdomain (192.168.1.30): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.21 ms
64 bytes from chaffee.localdomain (192.168.1.30): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.27 ms
64 bytes from chaffee.localdomain (192.168.1.30): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=2.44 ms
64 bytes from chaffee.localdomain (192.168.1.30): icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.23 ms

--- chaffee.localdomain ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4015ms
root at dragon:~#

If you see something like that, then it's probably not the router
"shielding" local machines from each other.