Data extraction

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Wed Apr 22 09:43:51 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:36:49AM -0400, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> >What do you mean by "SEE"? You can't get on the network? You
> >don't see it in Places-> Network? I'm going to assume the
> >former, because 1) I never use the latter, and 2) you don't
> >want to use "Windows networking" (aka Samba) anyway.
>
> By 'see' I mean, even though each machine can access resources on the
> 'net, non can connect to and access LOCAL resources, despite all being
> connected through the same router. On one machine I can see a window's
> network icon, but I click on it and generate a permissions error, that I
> don't have sufficient permissions to access those resources.

If there is an ssh server running on the destination machine, there is
an easier way.

Let's say you wanted to copy /home on the source machine into /backup on
the destination machine.  For this example we'll assume the IP address
of the destination machine is 192.168.0.100 (you'll want to substitute
the real IP address).  You can copy the files with this command on the
source machine:

tar -C /home -c . | ssh user at 192.168.0.100 "(cd /backup; tar x)"

--
Byron Clark