Data extraction

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Apr 21 10:41:15 MDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:52:11AM -0400, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> I have a drive in a spare machine, from which I want to copy, over my
> home LAN, the various folders, /, /var, /usr /home to another machine
> with a much larger hdd. I have tried booting the machine using a live
> ubuntu 8.10 desktop disc.. But have trouble getting networking on this
> machine, to 'SEE' my other linux box, which also runs ubuntu 8.10
> desktop.

What do you mean by "SEE"? You can't get on the network? You don't see
it in Places-> Network? I'm going to assume the former, because 1) I
never use the latter, and 2) you don't want to use "Windows
networking" (aka Samba) anyway.

This sounds like a networking problem. Does your DHCP server have an
entry for the spare machine? If not, I would use ifconfig and route to
manually set up the spare machine (assuming this is a one-off
job). First, on Ubuntu, take NetworkManager out and shoot it.

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop

Then, adjusting to suit your network:

IF=eth0
ifconfig $IF 192.168.23.4

route del default
route add default gw 192.168.23.31
route -n

cat > /etc/resolv.conf <<EORES
search localdomain
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.23.30
nameserver 192.168.23.4
EORES

ifconfig $IF

You should now be on the network. Ping a known good host by IP address
to verify networking, then by host name to verify name lookup.

Then use rsync, as Nicholas suggested, and *NOT* samba.

Personally, I'd use finnix for this. Much faster boot time, and no
NetworkManager to get in your way.