Data extraction

William Attwood wattwood at
Tue Apr 21 09:55:47 MDT 2009

install Samba on the old box to share what you need, and mount the share on
the new box; transfer from there.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) <
Scott.1Jones at> wrote:

> I have a drive in a spare machine, from which I want to copy, over my
> home LAN, the various folders, /, /var, /usr /home to another machine
> with a much larger hdd. I have tried booting the machine using a live
> ubuntu 8.10 desktop disc.. But have trouble getting networking on this
> machine, to 'SEE' my other linux box, which also runs ubuntu 8.10
> desktop.
> Am I approaching this the right way? Is there any easier way, short of
> pulling the drive and installing in this other machine, to just mount
> each folder and pull the data that way? I want to move it over on my
> network if possible.
> Scott
> /*
> PLUG:, #utah on
> Unsubscribe:

Warm regards,
William Attwood
Idea Extraordinaire
wattwood at
Woody Allen <>
- "I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it