Issues with ssh-agent connecting to a large number of hosts at once

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Sun Apr 19 16:38:22 MDT 2009

Thus said Bob Belnap on Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:15:41 MDT:

> running strace on the ssh-agent, things start out ok, then go sour and it
> starts spitting out:
>
> read(160, 0xbf8f300a, 1024)             = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> read(160, 0xbf8f300a, 1024)             = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
> read(160, 0xbf8f300a, 1024)             = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
> unavailable)

This is an odd resource problem. Maybe memory related? It looks like you
have already opened the file descriptor and are unable to read it. If it
were a  problem with  file descriptors  I would  expect to  see resource
errors when trying to  open() them. But here you already  have an fd and
cannot read() it.

This isn't  likely a  kernel limit  but rather a  user limit.  What does
ulimit report?

Andy
  4:38pm  up 33 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.06, 1.15, 1.01