Web admin access to home router

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Fri Apr 17 14:43:06 MDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant)
<Scott.1Jones at ge.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get my mailman server set up, and have run into network
> issues. I have a linksys wrt54g router, and have enabled web access.
>
> Here's my question: If I can access the router remotely, then I should
> fairly easily get access to my server box established, is this correct?

Yes, enabling remote management has that great benefit.  You can
change port forwards on the fly from any location.

> The other question: Is it even adviseable to allow web access or is that
> asking for trouble? How hackable is a router, in the face of a
> determined hacker?

Yes, this is the drawback of remote management.  Increased usability
often comes with reduced security.  A determined hacker could, in
theory, attempt to brute force your router's password to get access to
your internal network.  I haven't heard any reports of this being a
common occurrence, but it would be a very smart thing to program a bot
army to do this.  So you might want to think about that before
enabling it.

--lonnie