Web admin access to home router

Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) Scott.1Jones at ge.com
Fri Apr 17 12:27:29 MDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org] On Behalf Of
Kyle Waters
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:37 AM
To: Provo Linux Users Group Mailing List - 100% Unmoderated, High
Traffic
Subject: Re: Web admin access to home router

Jones, Scott (GE Money, consultant) wrote:
> I am trying to get my mailman server set up, and have run into network

> issues. I have a linksys wrt54g router, and have enabled web access.

Something else I forgot to mention some ISP's(read comcast) don't like
you running servers on your home computers unless your are paying for a
commercial account.  So those ports are often blocked/filtered.  So if
you are having trouble you may want to check with your isp and make sure
that they are not tampering with those settings to prevent you from
running a server.  Also I found that many email servers block mail
coming from comcast commercial ips because of spam concerns(I had to
switch to using smart host, then linode(because connectivity issues),
and hopefully soon UTOPIA).

My mail server has worked fine in the past but I guess a call to tech
support at Comcast wouldn't hurt. Can  you tell anything if you ping or
traceroute to my server, fyrenice.com? I'd love to get fiber, but I know
I don't have fiber to my home yet, plus I live in
Narrow-Minder-Civic-Leader-run SANDY, so I may never be getting UTOPIA..

Kyle

/*