Time Lapse WebCam?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Apr 14 12:50:22 MDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> There are 2 issues to deal with:
> a)  Zoom.  The new building is far enough away that it would appear too
> small on most run-of-the-mill webcams.
> b)  Distance from nearest linux box.  It is likely that we'll have to run a
> cable in excess of 50' to get from one of our always on linux servers (where
> I could set up some software to take the shots periodically) to the mount
> point for the camera.  Can usb go this far?
> (ok, 3 issues)
> c)  Software.  I am not at all familiar with what sorts of software are
> available for doing this sort of thing in linux.  Can anyone make any
> recommendations?

I would recommend getting a camera/parts from Elphel
(http://www3.elphel.com/index.php).  They sell kits, cameras, and
parts.  They run embedded linux, and is completely open source.  A
good ethernet cable can stretch 50' no problem.  Also, they have
options for PoE.

--lonnie