Time Lapse WebCam?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Apr 14 12:37:35 MDT 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Paul Seamons wrote:

>> Max length of USB cables are about 16 feet. So that won't work so
>> hot. I'm
>> sure that there's a terminal program that'll capture an image from
>> them,
>> then you could just set up a cron job to take care of that.
>
> So that just means 4 cables and 3 usb hubs. :)
>
> Paul

heh.

Or, I resurrect an old machine here and mount it closer to the camera
on the roof.  Or, I get a camera that has either ethernet or rca
outputs, instead of USB.

A bigger issue is about just how far we are from the site - on a
typical webcam (and most of the "security" type cameras I've looked
at) the resolution is a paltry 640x480 at best.  We'd love to do a
higher resolution - 2 megapixel or higher, and we don't need it to do
video, just stills every hour or so.

Are there any consumer level digial cameras out there that can do
this, and be controlled by software to wake up, zoom in, take the
shot, and then go back to sleep?

Thanks!

-- Kimball