Time Lapse WebCam?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Apr 14 11:37:46 MDT 2009

My company is building a new building, as we have outgrown our current
digs.  The new building is being erected about 1000ft from our current
location - just across 2 parking lots.  From the roof of our current
building, we have a very clear line of sight to the construction plot,
and would like to put a little camera up there that will snap a photo
every day that we can stitch together into a time-lapse movie of the
building going up.

There are 2 issues to deal with:
a)  Zoom.  The new building is far enough away that it would appear
too small on most run-of-the-mill webcams.
b)  Distance from nearest linux box.  It is likely that we'll have to
run a cable in excess of 50' to get from one of our always on linux
servers (where I could set up some software to take the shots
periodically) to the mount point for the camera.  Can usb go this far?
(ok, 3 issues)
c)  Software.  I am not at all familiar with what sorts of software
are available for doing this sort of thing in linux.  Can anyone make
any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com