Interesting spam statistics

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Apr 14 07:13:28 MDT 2009

Michael Torrie wrote:
> James Lance wrote:
>> It partially has to do with having the email land in the inbox while
>> the person is at their computer.  They are more likely to at least
>> glance at it.  If you get in on monday and have 20-30 spam messages
>> waiting for you, you are more likely to just batch delete the whole
>> thing.
>
> My statistics have nothing to do with when people check their e-mail.
> I'm looking at server statistics produced by dspam.  I get an
> hour-by-hour report over 14 days.

He's saying that they maybe aim for the message to land in the inbox
when the user is sitting at the computer. People are more likely to read
at least part of the message if it is the only new message at the
moment. With a bunch of spams from the weekend, most people will just
select them all and delete them without ever seeing the body.

The botnet idea sounds plausible too.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach