Interesting spam statistics

Nate Handy nate.handy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:59:48 MDT 2009

> I've noticed that spam volume shrinks to a very low amount (relatively)
> on weekends and then immediately spikes on Mondays.  This user gets
> about 50-60 spam messages a day monday through friday.  Then on Saturday
> and Sunday it drops to abotu 15-20 spam a day.  This is really curious
> as I always imagined spammers using automated systems.  Has anyone else
> noticed this, and what might be reasons for this?

People check email during the week, especially at work.  You would see the
same trends over long weekends (Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, etc..)  At
Freeservers we noticed signups followed trends of when people were typically
at work.

Sorry for the short reponse.  Gotta make sure no one sees me checking email
at work!