Checking if the other end of a fifo is open

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Thu Apr 9 15:15:10 MDT 2009

Dave Smith wrote:
> Okay, got it. This sandbox script simulates a blocking call (sleeping
> for 2 seconds in this case) in a backgrounded subshell, which signals
> when it's done. Thanks Nicholas!

Oh crap. This won't work because the subshell needs to open a file
descriptor that my parent shell wants to read from. This method works
great for getting around the blocking issue, but now I need to actually
read from the  FD opened in the subshell (which gets closed when the
subshell exits).

--Dave