CD-ROM recovery software?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Apr 9 10:47:02 MDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 09:57:08AM -0600, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Thu Apr 9 2009 09:47:44 Matthew Walker wrote:
> > >
> > > On most machines ;)
> >
> > Now you've piqued my interest. I'm going to go dig around, and try to
> > figure out where that statement isn't true. Thanks for ruining my
> > productivity for a couple hours. :)
>
> http://www.new-brunswick.net/workshop/c++/faq/intrinsic-types.html
>
> PDP-10 had 36-bit bytes.
> They mention a machine w/64-bit bytes.
>
> I'm sure there are other cases.

One you likely won't find: at JPL I worked on a home brewed data
collection computer. The original home brew CPU had an 18 bit wide
Ampex core. We were adding a small herd of 6502s to supplement and
eventually replace the home brew CPU.

The machine used a 6 bit subset of ASCII, called "half-ASCII", on its
displays. So you could stuff three characters into a word in the Ampex
core. The terms "byte" and "word" were rather fluid, depending in part
on where in memory you were writing.

So, yes, I knew perfectly well that some pedant would pick that
nit. The only question was, which one(s)? Nicholas, please step
forward and accept the Pedant of the Day Award.

Hmmm, should we rename this outfit the Pedantic Linux Users Group?