CD-ROM recovery software?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:54:38 MDT 2009

Matthew Walker wrote:
> On Thu, April 9, 2009 9:44 am, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>> On Thu Apr 9 2009 09:28:24 Charles Curley wrote:
>>> 8 bits = one byte
>> On most machines ;)
>
> Now you've piqued my interest. I'm going to go dig around, and try to figure out where
> that statement isn't true. Thanks for ruining my productivity for a couple hours. :)

According to wikipedia, "The byte most often consists of 8 bits in
modern systems; however, the size of a byte can vary and is generally
determined by the underlying computer operating system or hardware.
Historically, byte size was determined by the number of bits required to
represent a single character from a Western character set. Its size was
generally determined by the number of possible characters in the
supported character set and was chosen to be a divisor of the computer's
word size. Historically bytes have ranged from five to twelve bits."

Anyone know of any specific computers that had 5 or 12 bit bytes?

It's very interesting indeed.  I have always known that a "word" can be
just about any size (13 bits, 26 bits, or even 64 bits), but I never
knew that bytes had been variable too.  Fun stuff!