CD-ROM recovery software?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Apr 9 09:22:37 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 00:04 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > On Wed Apr 8 2009 11:11:54 Brandon Stout wrote:
> >> I have an original audio CD that has a crack spreading from the edge.
> >> It's finally reached the last track.  Might superglue to hold it
> >> together and turtle wax over the scratch work?  Anyone tried that?
> >
> > I would not put a cracked CD into any drive. That's flying, plastic shards
> > waiting to happen. Especially since most drives now are 32x or faster--they
> > are spinning very fast. 52x is 10k rpm, 65m/s linear velocity on the outer
> > edge. That's a lot of force for a cracked disk to have to withstand.
>
> I recently saw that Mythbusters episode, and my brother has actually had
> it happen.  A weakened CD exploded inside his drive, leaving sharp
> plastic and aluminum bits all over inside.  I was amazed to see it.  He
> said it made a loud bang when it happened.  Nothing actually came out of
> the drive, though, and the drive kept functioning fine.  I later cleaned
> out the bits.

Happened to me too, about 8 years ago. It sounded pretty much what you'd
think an exploding CD would sound like. I don't recall the speed of the
drive, but being that it was so long ago I'm sure it wasn't a 52x. As
far as I knew, the drive and disc were both in fine condition but I
assume one of them was not and the two made contact. I couldn't trust
the drive anymore so I replaced it. The disc was Half-Life, which made
me very sad. :'(

Corey